Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Cheerwine (bottle)

Imagine what would happen if Cherry Coke and Doctor Pepper eyed each other over the soda-pop fountain counter. After years of flirting, the good Doctor finally decides to invite Cherry out on a date. Well, years pass and the two are married and have kids. They are all abominations that are locked in basement in chains... except one. Cheery grows up prim and proper and is sent off to finishing school making her a wonderfully refined blend of her parents.

In reality, Cheerwine was around way before either of these supposed parents. As a northerner, I had never heard of this cola, but it has been around as a regional drink in and around North Carolina since 1917. I love the classic bottle, and the labeling fits the drink perfectly, down to the simple cherry printed at the top.

Although it doesn't show well in this picture or when the soda is in the bottle, the dark red color is very appealing and evocative of wine. The bottled version uses pure cane sugar, but I do not believe the canned version does.

The taste is wonderful. I can't imagine a black cherry soda that could taste more perfect than this. It is somewhat more subtle than either Cherry Coke or Doctor Pepper, and the blend of flavor is unique. I think this would be best served very cold - the colder the better.

Since this is the first time I have ever tasted it, I'm going to restrain myself from giving it a ten right out of the gate, but I may just have to come back and edit this review after drinking a case of this.

9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment